Two scholarships will be awarded each year, one for an elementary principal (K-8) and one for a secondary principal (9-12). The scholarships will be for $1,000.00 and will be awarded each year at the Illinois Principals Association Fall Conference.
Dr. Fred Singleton retired after 20 years as Field Director for the Illinois Principals Association, 50 years in education. Mr. John Ourth, former Northern IPA Field Director, passed away shortly after the creation of the scholarship on December 10, 2007.
The purpose of the Illinois Principals Association scholarship is to provide scholarship grants to assist individuals in the pursuit of graduate study, attendance at national conferences, and attendance at other relevant professional development to further the capacities of school administrators to be instructional leaders.
Applications are due by February 1st.
Individuals who are eligible for this scholarship shall:
- be a resident of Illinois
- be a member of the Illinois Principals Association
- hold an administrative certificate in Illinois
- be a practicing building level administrator in Illinois
- not have previously received an IPA Scholarship
Scholarship awards will be made on the basis of:
- good scholarship
- evidence of strong communication skills
- abilities and strengths of the applicant as indicated in the letters of support; and
- potential for continued significant contribution to the principalship
The Illinois Principals Award Committee will review the applications and select the award recipients. The public announcement of the selection will be made at the Education Leaders Fall Conference every October. Payment will be made to the recipients upon receipt of proof of attendance of an academic class, professional workshop, or professional conference.
Terms of the Scholarship
The scholarship award will be for $1,000.00. Applicants may not apply for the award in successive years.