School leadership matters.
Effective, sustained educational leaders for every Illinois school community.
Develop, support, and advocate for innovative educational leaders.
- The IPA membership, leadership, and staff must be a reflection of the diverse communities we serve.
- Educational leaders follow the IPA Code of Ethics.
- Educational leaders are accountable for adult and student performance in their schools.
- Educational leaders are a key component of a high quality education.
- The principal is the primary facilitator of change in the building.
- Educational leaders should balance their personal and professional responsibilities.
- Education is the cornerstone of quality life in a global, democratic society.
- Quality education requires high standards and expectations.
- It is an advocate for children, teachers, parents, and communities.
- Educators’ experiences and voices are essential to crafting effective education policy.
- Every child deserves access to an equally high quality education.
- All children must have opportunities to learn and develop to their highest potential.
- Adequate and equitable resources should be available for all students.
- Quality education meets a child’s social, emotional and academic needs.
- Schools must provide a safe, caring, and healthy environment conducive to learning.
- Sustained improvement comes from collaborative efforts with all stakeholders.
- A successful organization encourages continuous learning, innovation, and new ideas.
- A balanced assessment system is needed to inform instruction.
- Continuous high quality professional development is essential.
- In the value of mentoring, collegial support and professional community.
Our Code of Ethics
In keeping with Illinois Standards for Principals which states that, “A competent administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by acting with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner,” the Illinois Principals Association supports the following Code of Ethics for its members.
Each member of IPA shall:
- Make the well-being of students the basis for all decision making.
- Honor the public trust above any personal gain.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
- Avoid preferential treatment and conflicts of interest.
- Enforce and obey all local, state and national rules and laws in the performance of duties.
- Respect and safeguard confidential information.
- Not allow professional decisions to be influenced by personal gain, favors or gratuities.
- Demonstrate values, beliefs and attitudes that inspire others to higher levels of achievement.
- Honor all contracts, agreements and commitments.
- Assume responsibility for individual actions.
- Treat all people fairly and equitably and with dignity and respect.
- Maintain personal and professional standards that enhance the image of the school and the profession.