The Illinois Principals Association invites all members to participate in the Principal for a Day program.
The Principal For A Day program provides opportunities for principals and other administrators to build and refine relationships with their State and Federal legislators. Participation in this program involves State and Federal legislators visiting schools in their legislative district, interacting with staff and students, and performing selected administrative tasks during their visit. Though the program runs throughout the course of the school year, inviting legislators to visit in conjunction with Principal Appreciation Week/Day is encouraged.
Since education is the key to a successful future, the IPA seeks to provide legislators with opportunities for first-hand observations of schools in their districts.
Contact Alison Maley, Governmental Relations/Public Relations Director, at 217-241-0595 for assistance in scheduling and coordination.
Hosting Your Legislator
Find your Legislator – Enter your school’s address for a list of state and federal legislators in your area.
Send Invitation to the State/Federal Legislator
- Personalize this letter or create your own invitation and mail to the legislator’s district office.
- Follow up with a phone call to the legislator’s district office.
- Contact Alison Maley at (217) 241-0595 for assistance in scheduling and coordination.
Ideas for the Legislative Visit
- Shadow you during your day-to-day activities and duties
- Read the school announcements and lead the school in the Pledge of Allegiance
- Host a student “Town Hall Meeting”
- Serve on a panel of elected officials (city council, school board, mayor, etc.)
- Read a book to students
- Serve students at lunch
- Teach students about the role of a legislator, how a bill becomes a law, or other governmental functions
- Meet with a group of teachers and/or parents
- Attend an after-school activity (band concert, science fair, tutoring, Girls on the Run, etc.)
- Attend an all-school assembly
Share your press coverage – Send your photos, press releases, and news clippings/websites here.