With expectations for school leaders articulated by the School Leader Paradigm, the Four Phases of School Leader Development provide logic for how school leaders should move across the continuum. Titled using action-oriented language (i.e. launching, building), the four phases denote how school leaders must maintain a state of continuous growth and development.
- Aspiring School Leadership – Pre-service principals, assistant principals, and other school leaders who are considering entering the profession of school leadership, are studying school leadership in a principal preparation program, or have completed a principal preparation program but have yet to take on a formal school leadership position. These individuals, through personal and formal learning experiences, lay the foundation needed to take on a school leadership position. While technical knowledge is important, these future leaders give particular attention to the personal and social intelligences.
- Launching School Leadership – First and second year school leaders focused on developing relationships, building culture, setting expectations, and creating conditions for teaching and learning.
- Building School Leadership – School leaders in their third through fifth years who work to sustain culture, expectations, and conditions for teaching and learning. Their efforts include institutionalizing systems, which support their school’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Mastering School Leadership – School leaders in their sixth year and beyond who stretch themselves with new understanding of school leadership’s power to shape and transform a student-centered learning environment.
Though principals and other building leaders may find themselves performing more or less effectively with some leadership competencies and attributes throughout their careers, the phases offer a pathway for school leaders to intentionally improve.
We are developing year-long programs targeted at school leaders at each phase of development. You can find out more about the programs by clicking the links below.
- Aspiring School Leader Network
- Launching School Leader Network
- Building School Leader Network (coming soon)
- Mastering School Leader Network (coming soon)