School leadership matters. Research makes it clear that principals set their school’s culture, whether the best teachers are attracted to and stay in their schools, and whether continuous school improvement efforts occur. To make these things happen, principals must be growth-minded, visionary, mentors, capacity builders, results-oriented, and equity minded. Furthermore, principals must be focused on doing what is best for their students.
Research has also delineated a challenge we must address: only 1 in 4 principals serve in a leadership position more than 5 years. This leadership churn makes it difficult for a school community to produce sustained, systemic change that dramatically improves student performance. Additionally, it is easier to understand why teachers become cynical about school improvement initiatives and reiterate the famous cliché, “This too shall pass”.
To meet this challenge head-on, the Illinois Principals Foundation (IPF) is focused on supporting the Illinois Principals Association’s (IPA) vision of ensuring effective, sustained leadership for every Illinois school community. To that end, the IPF supports principals by providing them tools, resources, and learning experiences that allow them to deepen their knowledge, spend time learning from their peers and experts, improve their schools’ culture, build the capacity of their teachers, and ultimately improve student performance.
Help us turn the churn of school leadership 180 degrees on its axis by donating $180 ($1 for every school day or $15 per month) to the Illinois Principals Foundation. Your generous support enables us to:
- Offer professional development scholarships so Illinois school leaders can continue their formal education or participate in unique professional development opportunities;
- Cost-effectively develop and deliver the School Leader Networks to support all Illinois school leaders over the course of their careers;
- Provide mentoring and coaching support of school leaders in high-need communities;
- Engage in continuous research and development efforts which results in new, innovative professional development and resources that help Illinois school leaders perform at a high level;
- And help Illinois school leaders in times of personal need be it from serious illness or loss.
National Principals Month
October is National Principals Month! Consider making a donation to the Illinois Principals Foundation on behalf of an impactful school leader, past or present. With a one-time gift of $60 or more, we will send a special letter of appreciation to the school leader of your choice letting that person know how much you value her or his leadership. We have set a goal of $50,000 for the month, and we are fortunate to have a private benefactor making a dollar-for-dollar match up to $25,000. Please donate now!
For more information about the Illinois Principals Foundation and our efforts to ensure effective, sustained leadership for every Illinois school community, please contact Dr. Jason Leahy, Executive Director, Illinois Principals Association, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 217-525-1383.